I can’t believe how busy and exhausting the last 2 weeks have been for me.. I have never seen my pin board as packed as it was lately, literally covered with notes and due dates highlighted with 3 different colours pink, orange and green!! I sometimes ask myself, is it just me committing to too many things? or is this normal with kids and family commitments? should I start considering saying to my kids “no we don’t have time for this” when they come to me asking if they can join this activity or learn that new thing ? I know I won’t do that and I won’t listen, I’m just whining, so please let me!lol ..
I have to be honest though and say that it wasn’t just the kids, I was also very busy with my blog, testing some recipes, writing, researching and reading, which really takes a lot of my time, but considering I am new to this and considering my blog is only 3 months old, I am extremely happy with my progress and overwhelmed with my followers feedback and support, it really pushes my to the limits, and makes me even more passionate about what I am doing, so thank you to each and everyone who gives away some of his/her precious time reading, liking, sharing or commenting on my posts.
And just as a big thank you to all my supporters on the other summery side of this planet, who really showed their full support last night on Facebook, sharing and liking my page… here is a summery salad recipe just for you ..
I know you guys might have tried this delicious combination of watermelon and feta cheese before, (and if you haven’t, can I just say, you are missing out big time!) but this is a little more than that.
For those who are new to this combination, water melon eaten with feta cheese is a popular snack/ appetizer (or sometimes can be considered as a dessert) in some countries such as Egypt, Iran and Turkey. It can differ slightly from one region to another but the 2 ingredients stay as the core of the dish.
In this recipe I have added a couple of more ingredients to bring some more freshness and excitement to the dish.
I can see it as the perfect fresh salad eaten on a hot summer day, especially when water melons are at their best .. Here it goes ..
- 3 cups of watermelon small cubes
- 2 cucumbers chopped
- 1 cup of marinated or plain feta cheese cubes (more or less)
- 1 bunch of fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano leaves
- half a red onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons of caramelized balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of light taste olive oil
- The juice of half a lemon
- a pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Add all salad ingredients to a deep bowl and leave in fridge until your dressing is ready.
- mix dressing ingredients and leave a side for about 10 mins to intensify flavours and soften the onions a little.
- add dressing to the salad bowl and toss ingredients very gently.
- serve in individual bowls and enjoy!